Ghagha is one of Abu Dhabi's
westernmost islands. It is located northwest of Ras Ghumays, the westernmost
promontory in the Sila peninsulae. ADIAS visited the island between
1993 and 1995, when some 20 archaeological sites were identified. These
ranged in date from a Neolithic site with stone tools belonging to the
Arabian bifacial tradition; to a site with 'red-ridged ware' pottery,
probably originating from Bahrain, dating to c. 2000-1700 BC; to several
sites with late pre-Islamic pottery dating to the first-fourth centuries
AD, which is comparable to material from al-Dur and Mileiha. Some sites
also had traces of occupation dating to the last few centuries. Both
local and Chinese pottery similar to that found at Julfar in the northern
Emirates was also recovered.
King, G.R.D., D. Dunlop,
J. Elders, S. Garfi, A.Stephenson, and C. Tonghini. 1995. A report on
the Abu Dhabi Islands Archaeological Survey (1993-1994). Proceedings
of the Seminar for Arabian Studies 25: 63-74.